This month our "Half-Hour to Health" was on sugar. Below are Dr. Anthony and Dr. Casen's notes on the subject, including the video and audio feedback. If you would have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. We are always more than ready to assist you!
SUGAR: What you need to know
What is sugar? It is a class of carbohydrates that turn into energy.
Why sugar is scary? Targets our belly, silent killer, addictive, and causes damage to a liver, low nutritious value, and it cause your body to attack itself.
61 different names for sugar (University of California San Francisco)
Agave nectar, Barbados sugar, barley malt. Barley malt syrup, beet sugar, brown sugar, buttered syrup, cane juice, cane juice crystals, cane sugar, caramel, carob syrup, caster sugar, coconut palm sugar, coconut sugar, confectioners’ sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, corn syrup solids. Date sugar, dehydrated cane juice, demerara sugar, dextrin, dextrose, evaporated cane juice, free flowing brown sugars, fructose, fruit juice, fruit juice concentrate, glucose, glucose solids, golden sugar, golden syrup, grape sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, icing sugar, invert sugar, malt syrup, maltodextrin, maltol, mannose, maple sugar, molasses, muscovado, palm sugar, panocha, raw sugar, refiner's syrup, rice syrup, saccharose, sorghum syrup, sucrose, sugar granulated, sweet sorghum, treacle, turbinado sugar, yellow sugar
Sugar substitutes: stevia, aspartame, sucralose (Splenda), neotame, acesilfame potassium, saccharin, advantame, erythritol, xylitol, cyclamate (sweet n low), mannitol, polydextrose, sorbitol, glycerol, fructoologosacchride, curculin
Drugless Doctors Points for sugar
-Creates inflammation in the body
-Decreases immune system function
-Slows the healing process down in the body
-Promotes weight gain
-Creates liver distress and adrenal fatigue
Sugar Facts: 1 teaspoon of sugar = 4.2 grams, 1 tablespoon of ketchup = 4 grams (around 1 teaspoon) of sugar.
1. AHA recommends not eating more than 24 grams or 6 teaspoons of added sugar per day for women and 36 grams or 9 teaspoons per day for men. The average American consumes 30 teaspoons of sugar daily.
2. 2013 study found globally 180,000 die per year from sweetened beverage consumption.
3. 200 years ago Americans at 2 pounds of sugar per year, today however the average American consumes over 150 pounds of sugar in a year.
4. Sugar has not been extensively studied in chronic disease: has been linked to type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, dementia, cancer, and weight gain.
5. JAMA: Americans get on average 350 calories from added sugar or 22 teaspoons. People that consume 21 percent of their daily calories from added sugar are twice as likely to die from heart disease.
6. Sugar and Cancer: cancer needs to utilize sugar as a source of energy. In order to starve cancer cells you have to starve the source of fuel. The WHO predicts cancer will rise by 57% in the next two decades.
7. Not all sugar is created equal. 15.2 oz of Minute Maid 100% Apple Juice contains 49 grams of sugar (same as eating 10 Oreos) – Sources of sugar you may have not considered: bread, yogurt, salad dressing, protein bars, pretzels, beef jerky, cereal, non-dairy milk, pasta sauce, fruit juice.
8. A 32 oz. Gatorade has 36 grams of sugar which is like eating 5 Reese’s Peanut butter cups.
9. Sugar activates the reward center of your brain just like drugs such as cocaine, and amphetamines.
10. Sugar is toxic to your liver just like drinking alcohol can be.
1. Take an inventory- what are you consuming/day?
2. Read all ingredients and labels (especially the smaller print). Avoid anything that says sugar or the other chemicals listed above like dyes, artificial flavorings or colorings, cane sugar, coconut sugar, agave, honey…etc
3. Share this information with 1 person you love or care about
August Specials 10% off these nutrients:
Cr-Zyme: This is a chromium mineral which can be used for morning sickness, decreased or increased blood glucose levels, elevated CHO, can use up to 2 tablets 3x/day with meals.
Bio-Glycozyme Forte: A broad spectrum vitamin to support hypoglycemia, fatigue, adrenal fatigue, carb sensitivity (can take up to 2 capsules 3x/day with meals).
Glucobalance: Formula for insulin dependent diabetics, non-insulin dependent diabetics. With people who take insulin, make sure to check your blood sugar, this nutrient has dramatic results on decreasing blood sugar.
SEE HOW MUCH SUGAR YOU CONSUME! HA1C Special - $30 all month.
Our next breast thermography day will be FRIDAY August 25th. Space is very limited. See our team to get set up.